The following rules are an expanded, edited and modified subset of rules created and copyrighted by Sean Patrick Fannon. Modifications by Dustin Evermore for integration into a Birthright campaign. Not for publication in any medium, except for personal use.
Martial Arts - A Campaign Plug-In
Although many Game Masters may not wish to deal with the added complexities that Martial Arts can create in game play, they do add a certain level of "spice" that many Players enjoy.
The following are the Martial Arts that can be purchased (with Option Points) for characters. Each listing is a "package," and the cost (listed in < >) purchases all of the abilities described in the package. The GM must approve all Martial Arts purchases.
A very artistic and formalized form of swordplay that is popular in Brechtur. Unlike most martial arts, this one requires the use of Weapons (Small Blades) and cannot be used in Hand to Hand (non-Melee) combat.
- RETREATING SLASH (+1 AV, +3 DV)
- SLASH (+2 DV, +1D6 Damage)
- LUNGE (+1 AV, -2 DV, +2D6 Damage)
- PARRY (+2 AV, +2 DV; Block Maneuver)
- DISARM (+2 STR; Disarm Maneuver)
MASTER MELEE <10>
Another weapons-based set of forms, although much more "direct" and "brutal" than the graceful Fencing of the Camoners. In truth, there are literally dozens of variants on this set of maneuvers, but the end result is much the same in each case (this art is very much like "The Forms" of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and is inspired by a style created by Aaron Allston for Hero System). Like Fencing, this form requires the use of Weapons (choose one group: Axes, Clubs, Flails, Great Axes, Great Clubs, Great Hammers/Maces, Great Swords, Hammers/Maces, Pole Arms, Spears, or Swords) and cannot be used in Hand to Hand (non-Melee) combat.
Note - If the GM allows it, the Player may purchase additional weapon groups for Master Melee at the cost of one group per 2 points.
- BASIC STRIKE (+2 DV, +1D6 Damage)
- DEFENSIVE STRIKE (+1 AV, +3 DV)
- OFFENSIVE STRIKE (-2 AV, +1 DV, +2D6 Damage)
- PARRY (+2 AV, +2 DV; Block Maneuver)
- CHARGE (-1 AV, -1 DV, +1D6 Damage; Full Move Maneuver)
This "martial art" represents less a structured set of forms than it does either years of pub-crawling experience or a natural gift for pummeling people (and not getting too pummeled in return).
- PUNCH (+2 DV, +1D6 Damage)
- KICK/HAYMAKER (+1 AV, -2 DV, +2D6 Damage)
- VICIOUS BLOW (-2 AV, -2 STR) Killing Damage
- GRAPPLE (+2 STR; Grab Maneuver)
- GET AWAY (+3 STR; Escape Maneuver)
- DUCK (+5 DV; Dodge Maneuver)
- BLOCK (+2 AV, +2 DV; Block Maneuver)
- TACKLE (+1 AV, Grab Maneuver; both end up on ground)
Basic Combat Maneuvers
Maneuvers listed in Italics are considered OPTIONAL and should only be used by experienced Game Masters or where the effect of the maneuver won't be considered unbalancing.
- AIM (+1 AV per Round, +3 MAX) - This requires a Full Action per round; it can only be used for Ranged Weapons and the Attacker can make no other movements or take any actions while Aiming. If the attacker is struck while aiming, the accumulated bonus is lost.
- ARMOR PIERCING MANEUVER (-2 AV, -2 DV, AP Damage) -- Certain weapons on the Weapons List have the APM note; these weapons may be used to "hack through" or "skillfully pierce" armor, although such a maneuver is more difficult and dangerous. If successful, all applicable defenses are cut in 1/2.
- BLOCK (Abort) - Success allows you to gain Initiative over the attacker in the next round (unless you aborted your next round to Block).
- BYPASS ARMOR (- COV, -2 DV) -- Performing this maneuver allows the attacker to ignore the defender's worn armor, thus doing Killing Damage against no defenses and Stun Damage automatically against the target's SD. The penalty for this maneuver is specific to the armor being worn by the target. Note that this maneuver can be combined with CALLED SHOT; however, the cumulative penalties apply(!)
- CALLED SHOT (-Variable AV, Variable Damage) - This is an all-out blow to a vital spot on the Target (like the Head, Neck, or "Guts"). Such a blow does not bypass armor (see the BYPASS ARMOR maneuver), but the two maneuvers can be combined (at a cumulative penalty of truly epic proportions).
- CHARGE (-2 AV, -3 DV; +1D6/10m) -- This maneuver causes extra damage and allows an attack at the end of a Run (Note -- this is different from a MOUNTED CHARGE; see Below).
- CHOKE HOLD (-4 AV, -3 DV) - A specialized Grab in which the Target cannot speak or breath. They will take 2d6 Killing Damage (+1d6 per STR, up to 4d6 MAX) per round (4 phases) they are held. Both Attacker and Target are -3 DV until the hold is broken.
- CLUB WEAPON (-1 AV) - This lets you do Stunning Damage with your weapon instead of Killing Damage; use the dice you normally roll. The GM has discretion as to what weapons can be used this way.
- DISARM - Success forces a STR + Attack Skill vs STR + Melee Defense roll for the target to hold their weapon.
- DIVE FOR COVER - Used to avoid Area attacks and explosions. REF + Athletics vs a Target Number of 8 + meters dived.
- DODGE (+3 DV, Abort)
- DRAW AND ATTACK (-3 AV) - It normally costs an Action to draw a weapon; by taking a -3 AV, you can attack the same round the weapon is drawn.
- ESCAPE (STR + Athletics) - Used to escape Grabs or other holds.
- FLAIL (-1 AV, Bypass Shields, -1 to Block) -- Certain weapons on the Weapons List have the FL note; they can be used to perform this special Maneuver. It bypasses all Shields (and other, similar defensive measures, if the GM permits) and is very difficult to Block (-1 AV).
- GET UP - Takes a Full Action. Acrobatics (Target 14) may be used to stand as a 0-time Action.
- GRAB (-2 AV, -3 DV) - Success means the attacker can squeeze or throw the target for STR damage. Both attacker and target are -3 DV while Target is grabbed.
- KICK (-1 AV, +1d6 Stun Damage)
- LIMB SHOT (-3 AV, -2 DV, 1/2 Damage) - This is a strike against an arm or leg (or, in some cases, tail or tentacle). If the Damage before halving (but after defenses) exceeds the Target's THRESH, they lose the use of that limb (and, if the GM feels enough damage was done, the limb may be severed).
- MOUNTED CHARGE (-1 AV, -2 DV, Special) Similar to a Charge maneuver, although performed specifically with a LANCE while Mounted. If successful, the lance does +1D6 damage if the mount Moved, +2D6 if they Ran, and all damage is considered Armor Piercing (all applicable DEF is 1/2). Once done, the lance is considered stuck or broken and cannot be used again.
- MULTIPLE ATTACKS (-2 AV / Added Target or Attack, -5 DV; Full Action) - Used to attack up to three total (adjacent) Targets in Hand to Hand or Melee, or to attack one Target twice. Ambidextrous characters using both hands to attack may reduce their AV penalties by 1/2.
- PIN (-1 AV, -1 DV) This Action locks your weapon with the opponent's, so neither can attack until the Pin is broken. Breaking a Pin requires a successful STR + Weapon Skill attack versus the opponent's STR + Weapon Skill, or a RETREAT maneuver. Breaking a Pin lets you push the opponent back 2 m/y. While Pinned, you can attack with your other hand (or a weapon in that hand), or you can attempt to DISARM the opponent if you succeed in breaking the Pin, with a second STR + Weapon Skill roll.
- RECOVER (-5 DV) By taking a Full Action, you can regain +REC back in Stun; taking damage while Recovering negates the effects.
- RETREAT: This action lets you get out of being Pinned by moving back at least 2 m/y, and you may move back up to half your Move.
- ROLL WITH THE BLOW: This Action allows you to take less damage from an attack, if successful. You can abort to this action after the opponent has successfully struck you, but before damage is rolled. To Roll With The Blow, use your DEX + Evade as the AV against the attack roll that hit you as the DV. This Action is -1 to your AV, and -2 to your DV. If successful, the attacker rolls the damage normally, and your defense (your armor) is applied normally. However, you only take half the damage that gets through.
- RUN - A character may run up to 1/2 (round in their favor) their RUN Stat and still make a normal Attack or other Action.
- SPRINT - A character may SPRINT, but they are at -5 DV and 0 OV.
- SWEEP/TRIP (No Damage) - Target falls and is at -2 AV next round; Attacker gains +2 AV vs the Target the next round.
- THROW - Attacker may throw an object at someone.
Note - No maneuver may cause an attack to do more than double its normal damage. Any weapon pushed to this limit must have a 3d6 roll made (-1 for every 6 rolled on the damage roll), target 12. If the target is met, the weapon remains unbroken.
|CATEGORY ||THROWN ||BOW/SPELL ||PENALTY |
|Melee ||0-2m ||0-2m ||-0 |
|Very Close ||3-6m ||3-6m ||-1 |
|Close ||7-10m ||7-10m ||-2 |
|Medium ||11-20m ||11-50m ||-4 |
|Long ||21-50m ||51-100m ||-6 |
|Extreme ||51+m ||101+m ||-8 |
[Back to Main]